Monday, February 11, 2008

Sapporo Ramen Bishamon


After being bedridden with flu for the whole Chinese New Year, I finally fully recovered and met up with colleagues today for simple coffee chit chat at Gloria Jeans Marina Square. We left early around 6pm and I decide to take walk at Raffles City Basement - MarketPlace which housed a collective of F&B restaurant and retail outlets as it been 3 months since my last visit.



I chance upon this small ramen shop - Sapporo Ramen Bishamon in the MarketPlace which opened quite a while back just that I was either full or not up for ramen when I passed by. I decided to give it to try. I was recommended by the floor manager of the restaurant to try the Special Miso Ramen $13.40 SGD as the pork bone broth is mixed with 3 special miso to give it a robust flavour and the egg that goes along with it is full cooked on the outside while the yolk is not. I decided to take up on the manager's recommendation.



The Special Miso Ramen served with generously with corn, wakame, 2 sliced of kakuni and egg pre-soaked in shoyu as shown. When comes to ramen, I always taste the ramen soup base before anything else as the ramen soup base is the soul of ramen follow by the noodle. The soup base is pork bone based pleasantly flavored with miso (not your average miso you get off the shelf) but it hard to discern if it is a mixture of 3 miso blend. The soup base is slightly quite salty for local singaporean taste but I had tried a few authentic japanese ramen the saltiness is similar to Bishamon. It would be best Bishamon have reduce salt option upon customer request similar to Ken's Ramen Shop.

If Bishamon's Ramen is to compare with another Ramen Restaurant - Miharu offering Sapporo Ramen, Miharu Sapporo ramen's miso ramen left me with a deeper impression due to it unique miso flavor. Nevertheless, Bishamon Sapporo Ramen has it own ramen fan base. The ramen noodles used in Bishamon is similar to Miharu - thick, curly cooked to pretty el dente but you need to consume fast as the noodle tend to soften after a while. The soup base actually complement the noodle quite well without the feeling of being overpowered like marutama's ramen.

Next, I moved on to the Char Siew or Kakuni, the pork is stew similar to Marutama's Kakuni it is stewed to very tender but it is the most saltiest of ramen condiment in the miso ramen. Bishamon's ramen half boiled egg - the egg white is fully cooked while the yolk is liquid unlike other ramen shop whereby the yolk is only 75% cooked with a creamy aftertaste. I 'm not sure if Bishamon's ramen egg uniqueness is because the egg yolk is raw but I would prefer if the yolk is at least 75% or 50% cooked.

Overall, Bishamon ramen is pretty okay but with many areas need to looked into. Sodium intake conscious ramen fanatics might want to avoid Bishamon as for those who find current Singapore ramen shops lack the saltiness flavour that some Japanese liked might want to give it a shot.

No comments: