Saturday, January 5, 2008

Tired of Your Regular French Fries



It been a while since I updated the blog. Been busy with work since the new year started, nevertheless grocery shopping is always a stress reliever for me than being a chore for most people. With the shopping list that I drafted out in my mind, I decided to make my first stop at Bugis Junction to see the renovation progress with the basement. To my surprise, I found a rather interesting food stall (Yella Fellas) in Bugis Junction basement selling only French Fries. Yes French Fries not those you find in KFC, MacDonalds but Fries that are straight cut from russet potato and serve with assorted gravy (beef gravy, etc), dip sauce (wasabi mayo, salsa, cheese, etc) and condiments (crab meat, etc).

Unlike fast food french fries, Yella Fellas Fries are made straight from russet potato and did not undergo treatment to increase it physical mass while the potato pulp is seriously missing which is common in fast food restaurant fries. I found one particular Yellow Fellas French Fries combo rather unique as the french fries is served with real Spicy Crab meat topping and I decided give a try. Unfortunately, it is only available by 12pm and I was too early. Rather than waiting 1 hour, I decide to settle for the next best combo The Poutine - French Fries drizzle with beef gravy and serve with premium cheese $4.90 (not those cheese sauce you see KFC cheese fries but cheese cubes)

After 15 mins wait, I was serve with a piping hot tray of fries drizzle with beef gravy and cheese. Pardon the lack of photo as it is hard to take a picture with a PSP cam with one hand holding the tray while trying to fix the camera device to my PSP. My first impression - the fries is rather crisp on the outside but full of pulp in the inside which is nice and do not have the oily aftertaste you get from those fries in fast food restaurant. The beef gravy is a disappointment as it taste like instant gravy sauce (Gravox, Erin or Bistro) as I was expecting to see bits of ground beef coupled with beefy thick stock similar to the beefy sauce they serve in MOS burger. The premium cheese (cream cheese) serving is rather generous but it doesn't look goes that well with hot fries as it start to disintegrate, I would prefer if they serve with Feta cheese as they tend to be more resistance to heat.

Overall, it is a valiant attempt to bring novelty to Singapore boring F&B scene where there are so many food outlet selling similar food items (Donuts, Taiwan XXL Chicken etc). Yellow Fellas really need to strengthen their toppings in order justify the price for their fries. For those bored with fast food french fries and wanted something new and exciting can give it a try.

No comments: